- What are the possible applications for MucilAir™?
The MucilAir™ model has multiple applications. To this day, it has been used for the following tests:
What are the advantages of the MucilAir™ model?
- Inflammatory reactions
- Muco-ciliary clearance
- Acute or chronic toxicity
- Ion channels (ussing chambers)
- Mucine assay
- Trans-epithelial transport
- Bacterial or Viral infections
What are the different versions of MucilAir™ commercially available?
- Made of low passage cells
- Nasal, bronchial and tracheal versions available
- Single donor or pool-of –donors versions available
- Batch-to-batch reproducibility
- Mimics the in vivo tissue (air-liquid interface, mucus, ciliated cells)
- One year shelf-life
- Easy and ready to use
- Several pathological versions available
- Ethically beneficial by limiting animal experimentation
Our MucilAir™ epitheliums can be obtained from cells of healthy patients,but also from patients with various pathologies. The current versions of MucilAir™ commercially available are:
- MucilAir™-Cystic Fibrosis
- MucilAir™-Allergic Rhinitis
Additionally, all of these versions of MucilAir™ are available in co-culture with primary human fibroblasts (MucilAir™-HF).
I would like to run tests with MucilAir™ but I am not sure of the best strategy to adopt?
You can get in touch with our team to discuss your issue(s). We can also provide you with protocols designed by Epithelix. Alternatively, if you would like to benefit from our expertise on MucilAir™, we can conduct the tests in our laboratories as a contract research organization.
Do you offer free test samples for new customers?
What is the delivery time for your products?
By clicking here
you will be redirected toward our product list. When a product is flagged as available, the delivery time is estimated between 2 to 3 business days.
Where can you deliver your products?
From our production site, our products are shipped worldwide (Europe-US-Pacific).
How are MucilAir™ epitheliums packaged and delivered?
MucilAir™ is reconstituted and sold in a 6.5mm diameter inserts on a microporous filter (diameter = 6.5 mm, porosity = 0.4 µm, Ref : Costar 3470 from Corning). Each epithelium contains approximately 500,000 cells. For shipment we place the epithelia in a nutritive gel in a temperature regulated container. They tolerate up to 5 days in these conditions.
Is there a specific medium needed in order to maintain MucilAir™ in culture?
Epithelix has developed an ideal medium for maintaining MucilAir™ in culture: MucilAir™ Culture Medium. This medium is chemically defined, serum free, and ready to use. The average need per insert for one month of culture is estimated to be 8.5 mL. Culture medium needs to be changed twice a week. The volume per well is 700μL. Our culture medium is available in 125mL and 500mL bottles.
Validity period of the media:
If bottles are kept at +4°C in the dark we guarantee the quality of the media for 6 months after reception or 3 months after opening, whichever happens first.
What cell types are present in the MucilAir™ epitheliums?
||End of validity
The MucilAir™ model has 3 cell types: basal cells, mucus cells and ciliated cells.
How do you guarantee the quality of your products?
Before shipment our products go through a strict quality control process. We use the following measures to determine whether the product meets our standards:
How do you obtain the cells?
- Cilia Beating Monitoring
- Sealing of the epithelium (checking of the Trans Epithelial Electrical Resistance)
- Presence of mucus
- Tested negative for HIV-1, mycoplasma, hepatitis-B, hepatitis-C, bacteria, yeast and fungi
Cells are obtained from patients undergoing surgeries. After obtaining their consent, instead of destroying the surgical waste we collect samples of interest. Patients contribute to the reduction of animal experimentation by donating their cells.
- What are the other products sold by Epithelix?
- Human Airway Epithelial Cells of Bronchial Origin (hAECB) or Nasal (hAECN)
- Tissues extracts from MucilAir™: Mucin, total RNA, protein lysate
- Cell extracts from hAECN, hAECB and human fibroblasts (total RNA, protein lysate)
Additionally, all of these products are available in healthy and pathology versions (Asthma, COPD, Allergic Rhinitis, Cystic Fibrosis, and Smoker).
What are the characteristics of your hAECN and hAECB?
The cells are low in passages (P1). You can passage them up to 4 times if your goal is to use them for Air Liquid Interface. For flasks cultures you can passage them up to 6 times. Our cells have a very good proliferation and differentiation capacities with a minimum of 20 population doubling.
hAECB and hAECN are supplied in a cryogenic vial containing more than 1'000'000 viable cells in a volume of 1 mL of freezing medium. The vials with cryo-conserved cells are shipped on dry-ice. Upon arrival, the cells must be taken out and transferred to a storage facility with liquid nitrogen (-196 °C).