The inflamed condition of the airway epithelium is mimicked by stimulating MucilAir™ or SmallAir™ with known pro-inflammatory mediators such as LPS, TNF-α, Poly(I:C) or 10% fetal bovine serum.
Evaluation of the anti-inflammatory effect
MucilAir™ and SmallAir™ are efficient models to evaluate and rank the anti-inflammatory effect of drugs or formulations
- Global markers of Toxicity
- Tissue integrity monitoring: TEER measurement
- Cytotoxicity monitoring: LDH release
- Cilia beating monitoring: CBF measurement
- Anti – inflammatory effect
- Inflammatory marker: Measurement of IL-8, IL-6 release in the culture medium (Elisa)
The anti-inflammatory effect is monitored by IL-8 release: First, MucilAir™ is incubated with LPS, TNF-α, Poly(I:C) or FBS 10% in culture medium. The test compound is then added to the apical side (to mimic airborne delivery) or to the basolateral side (to mimic systemic exposure) of MucilAir™.
Dose and time dependent anti-inflammatory effect of Mometasone Furoate upon stimulation with 10% FBS:
Ctrl-: vehicle control (0.9% NaCl); ctrl+: 10% FBS; 25 and 100 μg/ml of Mometasone Furoate in culture medium was applied to the baso-lateral compartment.